Assistant Professor North Khorasan University of Medical Sciences, Bojnurd, Iran , email@example.com
Abstract: (295 Views)
Introduction: About 5% to 15% of the general population is affected by subclinical hypothyroidism. This disorder is an important risk factor for cardiovascular disease, which is a major cause of mortality in patients on dialysis. Since the treatment of subclinical hypothyroidism leads to recovery of cardiac muscle plasticity and dyslipidemia, screening is essential. Methods: The present case-control study was performed during autumn of 2016 at Imam Ali Hospital (Bojnurd, North Khorasan Province, Iran) on patients on dialysis. Overall, 47 patients, including 21 subjects with normal serum TSH and Free T4 as the case group and 26 subjects with normal thyroid hormone as the control group, were selected and their Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH), FT3, FT4, iPTH, triglycerides, cholesterol, High Density Lipoprotein (HDL), Low Density Lipoprotein (LDL), and calcium were measured. Chi-square test was used to compare the two groups in terms of gender. Independent t-test was used to compare mean age, body mass index, and other factors. Pearson correlation coefficient was used to examine the relationship between variables. Results: A significant correlation was observed between the mean BMI (22.3 ± 6.8 kg/m2), Triglyceride (TG) (246 ± 126 mg/dl), and Ca (8.5 ± 1.8 mg/dl), and also there were no significant differences in lipid parameters in the case group (P < 0.001). In addition, a significant positive correlation was found between PTH and HDL (P = 0.001) and a negative correlation between PTH and LDL (P = 0.04). Conclusions: The findings of the current study showed obesity and triglyceridemia in patients with subclinical hypothyroidism deficiency compared to patients without this problem, also it was indicated that PTH has a correlation with dyslipidemia.
Type of Study: Medical |
Subject: medical Received: 2016/12/30 | Accepted: 2018/02/10 | Published: 2018/02/10
1. Ng YY, Wu SC, Lin HD, Hu FH, Hou CC, Chou YY, et al. Prevalence of clinical and subclinical thyroid disease in a peritoneal dialysis population. Perit Dial Int. 2012;32(1):86-93. [DOI:10.3747/pdi.2010.00202] [PMID] [PMCID]
2. Tohidi M, Rostami M, Asgari S, Azizi F. The association between sub-clinical hypothyroidism and metabolic syndrome: A population based study. Iranian J Endocrinol Metab. 2011;13(1):98-105.
3. Nagasaki T, Inaba M, Kumeda Y, Hiura Y, Shirakawa K, Yamada S, et al. Increased pulse wave velocity in subclinical hypothyroidism. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2006;91(1):154-8. [DOI:10.1210/jc.2005-1342] [PMID]
4. Foley RN, Parfrey PS, Sarnak MJ. Clinical epidemiology of cardiovascular disease in chronic renal disease. Am J Kidney Dis. 1998;32(5 Suppl 3):S112-9. [DOI:10.1053/ajkd.1998.v32.pm9820470] [PMID]
5. Block GA, Hulbert-Shearon TE, Levin NW, Port FK. Association of serum phosphorus and calcium x phosphate product with mortality risk in chronic hemodialysis patients: a national study. Am J Kidney Dis. 1998;31(4):607-17. [DOI:10.1053/ajkd.1998.v31.pm9531176] [PMID]
6. Wang AY, Woo J, Lam CW, Wang M, Chan IH, Gao P, et al. Associations of serum fetuin-A with malnutrition, inflammation, atherosclerosis and valvular calcification syndrome and outcome in peritoneal dialysis patients. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2005;20(8):1676-85. [DOI:10.1093/ndt/gfh891] [PMID]
7. Guerin AP, London GM, Marchais SJ, Metivier F. Arterial stiffening and vascular calcifications in end-stage renal disease. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2000;15(7):1014-21. [DOI:10.1093/ndt/15.7.1014] [PMID]
8. Chopra S, Cherian D, Jacob JJ. The thyroid hormone, parathyroid hormone and vitamin D associated hypertension. Indian J Endocrinol Metab. 2011;15 Suppl 4(8):S354-60.
9. Aljohani NJ, Al-Daghri NM, Al-Attas OS, Alokail MS, Alkhrafy KM, Al-Othman A, et al. Differences and associations of metabolic and vitamin D status among patients with and without sub-clinical hypothyroid dysfunction. BMC Endocr Disord. 2013;13(1):31. [DOI:10.1186/1472-6823-13-31] [PMID] [PMCID]
10. Muscogiuri G, Sorice GP, Mezza T, Prioletta A, Lassandro AP, Pirronti T, et al. High-normal TSH values in obesity: is it insulin resistance or adipose tissue's guilt? Obesity (Silver Spring). 2013;21(1):101-6. [DOI:10.1002/oby.20240] [PMID]
11. Wanjia X, Chenggang W, Aihong W, Xiaomei Y, Jiajun Z, Chunxiao Y, et al. A high normal TSH level is associated with an atherogenic lipid profile in euthyroid non-smokers with newly diagnosed asymptomatic coronary heart disease. Lipids Health Dis. 2012;11(1):44. [DOI:10.1186/1476-511X-11-44] [PMID] [PMCID]
12. Williams G, editor Extrathyroidal expression of TSH receptor. Annales d'endocrinologie; 2011: Elsevier.
13. Palmieri EA, Fazio S, Lombardi G, Biondi B. Subclinical hypothyroidism and cardiovascular risk: a reason to treat? Treat Endocrinol. 2004;3(4):233-44. [DOI:10.2165/00024677-200403040-00005] [PMID]
14. Dumler F, Bello MJ, Cruz C, Gotaas KA, Macks H. Thyroid function surveillance in CAPD patients. Adv Perit Dial. 1995;11:225-8. [PMID]
15. Hashemi J, Akaberi A, Golshan A. Relationship between biochemical risk factors for Atherosclerosis in dialysis patient and healthy persons. J North Khorasan Univ Med Sci 2012;4(3):7. [DOI:10.29252/jnkums.4.3.433]
16. Lee DM, Rutter MK, O'Neill TW, Boonen S, Vanderschueren D, Bouillon R, et al. Vitamin D, parathyroid hormone and the metabolic syndrome in middle-aged and older European men. Eur J Endocrinol. 2009;161(6):947-54. [DOI:10.1530/EJE-09-0496] [PMID]
17. Ahmadi F, Mirjafari SR, Khatami M, Khazaeipour Z, Ranjbarnovin N. Relationship between serum parathyroid hormone levels and lipid profile in non-diabetic hemodialysis patients. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl. 2012;23(6):1188-95. [PMID]
18. Navarro JF, Teruel JL, Lasuncion MA, Mora-Fernandez C, Ortuno J. Relationship between serum parathyroid hormone levels and lipid profile in hemodialysis patients. Evolution of lipid parameters after parathyroidectomy. Clin Nephrol. 1998;49(5):303-7. [PMID]
19. Ahlstrom T, Hagstrom E, Larsson A, Rudberg C, Lind L, Hellman P. Correlation between plasma calcium, parathyroid hormone (PTH) and the metabolic syndrome (MetS) in a community-based cohort of men and women. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf). 2009;71(5):673-8. [DOI:10.1111/j.1365-2265.2009.03558.x] [PMID]
hashemi J, Akaberi A, Ghanbari R, Golshan A. The Relationship between subclinical hypothyroidism with Parathyroid hormone levels and Lipid profiles in patients on dialysis. IJNR. 2018; 12 (6) :45-50 URL: http://ijnr.ir/article-1-1862-en.html